Package Cost Engineer
Posted on: March 27, 2020
Package Cost Engineer
Requisition ID: 228701
- Relocation Authorized: National - Single
- Project No.: [[cust_projectNumber]]
- Grade: 25-26
- Position to be Panel Interviewed? No
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel
will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and
Construction Management) services. This programme involves a
multi-billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The job is likely to be executed through an NEC3/NEC4 target cost
reimbursable/incentive fee contract.
- Works at project level involved in delivery of infrastructure
(low) hundreds million pounds in value. Reports to the Project
Manager and by matrix reporting to the Project Controls
- Provides comments and recommendations for cost engineering
requirements relative to staffing and project control. Prepares
detailed staffing plans for cost engineering activities.
- Reviews design scope criteria and quantities for completeness
and reasonableness, and coordinates with the project to develop
additional estimating bases when information is incomplete.
Establishes the conceptual scope of studies when definition is not
- Assists in reviewing proposal provisions related to cost
engineering and material control and develops supporting data for
contract negotiations. Obtains vendor information to update the
cost data file. Applies material unit rates to quantities.
Maintains cost data files.
- Interfaces with management and client counterparts for specific
- Participates in developing and presenting training classes on
designated subjects and on-the-job training for specific processes
- Supports the timely preparation of cost estimates. Prepares and
analyzes comparisons of scope, quantities, and cost data between
the projects. Performs productivity analysis of Construction
operations and verifies results. Establishes productivity basis to
be utilized in estimates, as developed with the concurrence of
Construction. Reviews labor estimates for reasonableness.
- Coordinates the pricing structure or criteria that will be used
by each discipline or specialty to meet the objectives of the
project. Establishes format and content of summaries and
reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level
of confidence and identification of areas of risk.
- Prepares or reviews distributable and/or contractor's indirect
cost estimates, and develops the basis for temporary facilities,
miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and
equipment, non- manual manpower, startup services, payroll taxes
and insurance, support facilities and operation, and other field
office costs. Researches and develops or reviews tax estimates,
including federal, state, and local tax issues. Assists in
developing or develops foreign currency and exchange rate cost
- Prepares and analyzes comparisons of scope, quantities, and
cost data between projects. Develops bid evaluation cost and
schedule criteria and prepares bid evaluations.
- May participate in discussions with suppliers.
- Defines project needs for cost control in accordance with
established Bechtel and client contractual requirements,
objectives, and procedures. Supervises the timely performance of
cost control activities. Reviews and critiques design and
specifications for cost effectiveness and suggests alternatives
when appropriate. Prepares or supervises the preparation of cost
studies utilizing historical data, statistical analysis, and cost
and quantity comparisons. Develops innovative new techniques to
meet specific needs, as required. Prepares cost trend estimates in
support of project cost trend programs.
- Undertakes cost recording, monitoring, and reporting practices
for compliance with applicable standards. Responsible for the
development and accuracy of cost engineering reports. Verifies
consistency with previous reports to ensure compatibility.
Responsible for issuing reports required by management and project
- Responds to investigating requirements for cost control data
for a specific discipline or other specialty applications. Performs
cost analysis support for the project and recommends development or
modification of cost engineering data standards.
- Coordinates information input into specific studies.
Responsible for integration of activities and total work scope
identification. Evaluates study results and recommends conclusions
for project team consideration and discussion.
- Assists in developing unit job hour and pricing data for a
specific discipline or other specialty. Performs data analysis,
identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Creates and implements measurement systems for given processes,
analyzes performance metric results, and identifies improvements.
Uses statistical tools to analyze metrics (e.g., regression,
analysis of variance, correlation), and analyzes measurement
systems to identify bias, repeatability, and stability issues.
- The candidate will have gained cost engineering experience
across several projects.
- The candidate will have led cost engineering on at least one
project of --50M capital value.
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only.
UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and
agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must
be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Experience in performing, monitoring, and reviewing cost
engineering functions, which include cost estimating, cost control,
and cost analysis, in the field and the home office.
- Knowledge of supervision, personnel administration, and
training of technical and non-technical personnel.
- Statistical knowledge in the areas of sampling, distributions,
probability, and hypothesis testing for metrics.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Proficiency with multiple discipline specific software
applications such as Microsoft Office Applications such as Word,
Excel and PowerPoint and or cost processors such as
- Knowledge of financial reporting systems and controller account
codes, and understanding of Controller instructions, which impact
Project Controls (including Project Financial Status Reports and
Earned Revenue Determination Data).
- Intermediate level of knowledge of engineering, procurement,
contracts, construction, and startup work processes.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction management
customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or
- EPC/EPCM/EVMS experience on major infrastructure
- Cost Engineering experience on nuclear and/or defence projects,
or projects of similar complexity.
- Experience on UK construction projects of > --500M
- APM / PMI qualifications or similar.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain SC--Security Clearance
Bechtel's internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that
you need to be in your current position before applying to a new
position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure
you meet the minimum requirements.
Keywords: BECHTEL, Reston , Package Cost Engineer, Engineering , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!