Senior Data Engineer
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Join our team dedicated to developing and executing innovative
solutions in support of customer mission success.
Novetta has an immediate need for a Senior Data Engineer to join a
fast-paced program in support of a government customer with a very
critical national security mission. This is a multi-year program,
where the successful candidate will work on an interdisciplinary
project team of more than 30 highly qualified individuals with a
wide array of skills that include client (reactjs), server (spring
java), QA Automation Engineers, UI/UX Designers, and DevOps
engineers. The team is responsible for building a next generation
Mission Information System and is performing greenfield Software
Development using modern technologies via an Agile DevOps
This Senior Data Engineer will play a vital role collaborating as
part of this cross-functional Agile team to create and enhance data
ingestion pipelines and address big data challenges. The Senior
Data Engineer will work closely with the Chief Architect, systems
engineers, software engineers, and data scientists on the following
- Provide Extraction, Transformation, and Load (ETL) experience
coupled with enterprise search capabilities to solve Big Data
- Design and implement high-volume data ingestion and streaming
pipelines using Open Source frameworks like Apache Spark, Flink,
Nifi, and Kafka on AWS Cloud
- Leverage strategic and analytical skills to understand and
solve customer and business centric questions
- Create prototypes and proofs of concept for iterative
- Learn new technologies and apply the knowledge in production
- Monitor and troubleshoot performance issues on the enterprise
data pipelines and the data lake
- Partner with various teams to define and execute data
acquisition, transformation, processing and make data actionable
for operational and analytics initiatives
Required Qualifications / Experience:
- BS in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or a related
technical field or equivalent experience with at least 8+ years in
systems engineering or administration (6+ years with a MS/MIS
- Must have an active Top Secret security clearance and able to
obtain a TS/SCI with Polygraph.
- 3 years of experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark,
- 3 years of experience with object-oriented/object function
scripting languages: Python (preferred) and/or Java.
- 3 years of experience with and managing data across relational
SQL and NoSQL databases like MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, HDFS,
Redis, and Elasticsearch.
- 3 years of experience working in a Linux environment.
- 2 years of experience working with and designing REST
- Experience in designing/developing platform components like
caching, messaging, event processing, automation, transformation
and tooling frameworks.
- Experience developing data ingest workflows with
stream-processing systems: Spark-Streaming, Kafka Streams and/or
- Experience transforming data in various formats, including
JSON, XML, CSV, and zipped files.
- Experience with performance tuning of ETL jobs.
- Experience developing flexible ontologies to fit data from
multiple sources and implementing the ontology in the form of
database mappings / schemas.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills necessary to work
effectively with customers and other team members.
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Data engineering experience in the Intelligence Community or
other government agencies.
- Experience with Microservices architecture components,
including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing microservices to fit data cleansing,
transformation and enrichment needs.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, S3, EMR, RDS,
Redshift, Athena and/or Glue.
- Experience with Jira, Confluence and extensive experience with
- Knowledge about security and best practices.
- Experience developing flexible data ingest and enrichment
pipelines, to easily accommodate new and existing data
- Experience with software configuration management tools such as
Git/Gitlab, Salt, Confluence, etc.
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD)
pipelines and their enabling tools such as Jenkins, Nexus,
- Detailed oriented/self-motivated with the ability to learn and
deploy new technology quickly.
Clearance Level: TS/SCI with Poly
Novetta, from complexity to clarity.
Novetta delivers highly scalable advanced analytics and secure
technology solutions to address challenges of national and global
significance. Focused on mission success, Novetta pioneers
disruptive technologies in machine learning, data analytics,
full-spectrum cyber, cloud engineering, open source analytics, and
multi-INT fusion for Defense, Intelligence Community, and Federal
Law Enforcement customers. Novetta is headquartered in McLean, VA
with over 1,000 employees across the U.S.
Our culture is shaped by a commitment to our core values:
Integrity --- We hold ourselves accountable to the highest
standards of integrity and ethics.
Customer Success --- We strive daily to exceed expectations and
achieve customer mission success.
Employee Focus --- We invest in our employees' professional
development and training, respecting individuality and fostering a
culture of diversity and inclusion.
Innovation --- We know that discovering new and innovative ways to
solve problems is critical to our success and makes us a great
Excellence in Execution --- We take pride in flawless execution as
we build a company that is best in class.
Earn a REFERRAL BONUS for the qualified people you know.
For more details or to submit a referral, visit
Novetta is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Novetta, Reston , Senior Data Engineer, Engineering , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!