Data Engineering Lead
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Are you passionate about aerospace data? About leading a small
team? Cirium is looking for a Lead Data Engineer to manage and
provide technical leadership for the Tickets Data Engineering team.
The role is based in Cirium's office in Reston, VA and reports to
the Software Engineering Manager.The team is a cross-functional,
agile, data/software engineering team with a charter to acquire
airline ticket data and related information, coming from a variety
of providers and platforms. After processing, combining and adding
business value to the data, the team makes it easily available for
external customers and for downstream internal use by teams and
products in the Commercial Planning sector of Cirium's business.
Customers in this space are varied and include airlines, airports,
agencies such as IATA, ARC, FAA and others.The position leads,
cultivates and inspires the engineering team in performing
research, design, estimation, implementation and testing tasks for
all of the team's data, software products, features and internal
tools. The ideal candidate is an Engineering Lead with solid
experience in managing an agile team and in collaborating with team
members to deliver interesting and valuable data to Cirium and its
- Lead the Tickets Data Engineering team in employing best
practices and ensure a well-rounded agile team with minimal
- Carry out people management responsibilities in accordance with
the organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and
coaching employees; directing work; appraising performance;
rewarding and course-correcting employees; and resolving
- Work with the team to develop and provide effort estimates for
custom deliverables and coordinate with the Engineering
- Seek diverse ideas and perspectives from a variety of sources
to help the team create better and more innovative solutions,
products and services.
- Participate in and manage an on-call rotation for the team
members to provide technical support after-hours and on
- 7+ years Data Engineering, Data Management or Software
- Bachelor's Degree (Engineering/Computer Science preferred but
not required); or equivalent experience required.
- 1+ years people management experience
- Outgoing, engaging personality
- A combination of data engineering and software engineering
- Experience with tools and techniques for metrics tracking, data
monitoring and alerting.
- Knowledge of architectural and software design principles.
- Excellent problem-solving skills in identifying, researching
and coordinating any resources necessary to effectively
troubleshoot complex project issues; prior success translating
findings into alternatives and solutions; and identifying risks and
impacts to facilitate management decision-making.
CiriumWe are an aviation, air travel data, and analytics company,
and our mission is to help the movement of people and goods around
the world. We keep the world in motion! Our people are at the core
of our company, and they are our priority. We have a shared set of
values that focus on: putting the interests of our customers
unmistakably first; being empowered by the trust we earn from each
other and our customers; have a global vision for Cirium based on
diversity, inclusion, and collaboration; and a passion for
discovery to transform industries.
Our team delivers industry insights, built from decades of
experience in the sector, enabling travel companies, aircraft
manufacturers, airports, airlines, and financial institutions,
among others, to make logical and informed decisions that shape the
future of travel, growing revenues, and enhancing customer
experiences.We are a global company with 12 offices around the
world and approximately 500 people in our team. Over 20 languages
are spoken here, and our leaders may have grey or sometimes purple
hair. Whatever your background, you are welcome to join us.We are
looking for dynamic and talented people that never stand still and
can contribute to our continuous success.A few extra facts:
- Cirium is part of RELX PLC, a FTSE 100 global provider of
information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and
business customers with over 30,000 employees, 8,000 of which are
- We partner with the industries core associations such as the
International Airline Trade Association (IATA).
- One of our offices is on the runway at Heathrow, and another
has its own bar, The Spruce Goose.
- We have great benefits (including two days of charitable
activity per year).
- Our consultancy team have the largest group of ISTAT Certified
Appraisers and have been recognized as the Aircraft Appraiser of
the Year, an Aviation 100 Award, seven times out of nine
- Cirium and RBI are founding members of the Tech Talent Charter,
committed to increasing the ratio of women and under-represented
groups working in technology.
Keywords: Cirium, Reston , Data Engineering Lead, Engineering , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!