Sr. Infrastructure Solution Engineer
Company: Fannie Mae
Posted on: August 17, 2019
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable
mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the
leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more
people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the
housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we
work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit
In general, the role of the technical engineer is to develop
application design and/or design IT infrastructure components to
meet business and technical requirements. IT infrastructure may
include systems, middleware, database, storage and/or network
infrastructure. The engineer must demonstrate the ability to
efficiently code, test & certify technology platforms, software and
applications. Troubleshoot, debug application(s) and/or IT
infrastructure component(s) and recommend enhancements for stable
operations. Maintain and patch systems, software and applications
to eliminate bug fixes, security vulnerabilities and maintain
technology currency of systems and applications. Document design
and engineering standards; develop key performance metrics and
operational guidelines for consistent & stable design, build,
implement and operational processes. The selected candidate will be
responsible for designing optimized infrastructure solutions for
applications hosted within Fannie Mae. This will involve working
closely with development leads and application architects,
performing technical assessments of existing environments and
working with vendors as necessary to understand the requirements of
the application. The Solution Engineer is responsible for designing
and documenting the infrastructure solution, calculating the costs,
and justifying the solution sizing to the appropriate business
needs. Appropriate designs will conform to corporate standards, and
utilize shared, hosted platforms where possible. All solutions must
take into account the availability and security requirements of the
application and address those in a cost-appropriate manner. The
successful candidate will be a recognized expert in key
technologies in Unix, Windows, VMware / AWS, Database, IT
infrastructure architect and/or public cloud technologies, along
with the associated software technologies. Candidate should also
have a solid understanding across a broad range of other
infrastructure technologies including storage and networks. The
candidate should possess an interest in improving their
understanding of all technical areas. Strong communication and
presentation skills are essential. The role is an excellent
opportunity to work alongside business and development managers
across the firm, to learn the portfolio of business applications at
Fannie Mae and to play a key part in the design and rollout of
future infrastructure solutions.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Produce detailed documentation describing the solution design,
including the technical implementation details, and cost
- Ensure adherence to current standards by collaborating with
Enterprise Architect group and platform engineers.
- Ensure justification is sufficient to pass internal
- Document the details in a set of work orders to enable the
solution to be built correctly the first time by fulfillment
- Perform consultancy engagements with application teams or
business units to make recommendations on long term planning and
help them to understand the direction of the FNM IT
- Perform or assist in performing environment analyses where
there have been issues with performance or availability.
- Create and optimize weekly and monthly metrics for the
- Interface, partner, and influence stakeholders to promote
simplification, standardization and innovation and to ensure risk
are understood and minimized
- Establish policies and standard operating procedures to enable
consistent and repeatable execution.
- Propose appropriate changes to standards, policies, and
procedure based on emerging business/technology trends and
operational challenges with the existing guidelines utilizing
performance metric and operational SLA.
- Plan for adequate capability on systems based on utilization
metrics and planned projects to establish supply and demand
- Design and verify the technology solution meets business and
technical requirements and is in compliance with enterprise
architecture guidelines, technology standards and methodology, and
compliance and security standards.
- Maintain and operate the application design. It includes but
not limited to monitoring, performance and capacity metrics, SLAs,
resiliency and disaster recovery plans.
- Define success criteria for validation of technology solution
and application designs.
- Develop and document an integrated test plan for certification
of technology solutions and application design in compliance with
existing best practices.
- Provide work guidance or technical assistance to less senior
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
- 6+ years of related experience
- 6 - 10+ years of server support, engineering, or solution
design experience SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS The team acts as
an authoritative infrastructure system design group and covers 4
- Technical understanding of the infrastructure technology that
support our applications.
- Supporting the Application Development book of work.
- Maintaining technical relationships between infrastructure
teams, enterprise architect & application developers.
- Each team member has a high level of key technology solutions
in Unix, Windows, VMware / AWS, Database, Middleware, Network,
Database, Storage and/or Data center process and procedures in
- Projects are assigned to team members based on the application
development group involved Solution engineers will work as a group
to provide solutions leveraging best skills and expert from
everyone. The successful candidate will possess the following
qualifications and characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of operating systems, cloud technology,
clustering, database, and other associated enterprise
- Solid understanding of infrastructure architecture in high
availability, scalability, resiliency and disaster recovery
- Experience with hardware server technologies, Cross-platform
operating system experience is highly desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of virtualization and cloud technologies,
particularly VMWare ESX server & AWS.
- Good understanding of network topology, DMZ solutions.
- Understanding of SAN technologies and storage replication is a
- Understanding of networking principles including routing, and
basic protocols including multicast.
- Ability to understand server utilization statistics, identify
bottlenecks and translate application load requirements into server
utilization projections. EMPLOYMENT
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job
applicant will be required to successfully complete a background
investigation. Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 57251
Keywords: Fannie Mae, Reston , Sr. Infrastructure Solution Engineer, Engineering , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!