Director, Research and Data Science
Company: Graduate Management Admission Council
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Summary Description: The Director, Research and Data Science is
responsible for overseeing the department and supports the
Council's commitment to disseminating actionable and relevant
information about the management education community.Key
- Lead and develop the Research and Data Science department's
strategic direction, inclusive of GMAC's survey program, testing
analysis/reporting program, and data science function. This is a
critical component to:
- Delivering value to GMAC's membership, who depend on the
analysis and benchmarking services the Research team provides to
build their recruitment and portfolio/program strategies;
- Driving organizational direction by identifying and monitoring
trends and industry insights and heavily influencing the strategic
direction of other functional departments within the
- Support thought leadership content that will position GMAC as a
partner for Business Schools and will enable pipeline creation for
- Build creative approaches to maximize yield of our data assets
and data science capabilities.
- Active partner to building an integrated communications
strategy that promotes GMAC's brand as a thought leader in the
industry. Proactively identify need and implement new research to
react to on-going trends in the marketplace and provide the
foundation information and analysis upon which the Council's
research white papers are based that are published and presented at
industry conferences around the world.
- Provide expertise representing GMAC on data and research
activities, a key driver of the organization's strong reputation
within the industry.
- Collaborate with other departments to lead and effectively meet
their research and data needs.
- Oversee the organization's data science efforts, including
conceptualize complex data solutions for GMAC initiatives (e.g.,
matching, lead scoring, and optimization algorithms [i.e. Website
Content Flow]). These efforts are critical to supporting the
broader organization's ambitions to deliver against the longer term
strategic roadmap and significantly impact GMAC's ability to
deliver on mission.
- Implement innovative approaches to design and implement primary
data collection efforts to anticipate and meet the needs of key
stakeholders, including GMAC, schools, and media.
- Provide data and statistical support for strategic and tactical
decision making, including activities to assist in school
engagement, candidate marketing, and industry education,
responsibilities include survey reports, external reporting of GMAT
testing data, ad hoc-request services, and surveys.
- Establish and oversee quality control of all aspects of the
survey research and data science programs, including research
methodology, questionnaire design, and data analysis procedures and
ensure legal and ethical compliance regarding research data.
- Develop, justify, and manage the budgets for the entire
- Develop and evolve a high-performance team, inclusive of the
Research Survey team and Data Science and Analysis.
- Other responsibilities and duties, as assigned.Minimum
- Master's degree in Statistics, survey methodology,
anthropology, sociology, psychology, market research, etc.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the field of large-scale
research and higher education or management education or equivalent
combination of education, skills, and experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive managerial experience.
- Oversee, manage, and perform all aspects of survey research
function, including research design, sampling methodology,
questionnaire development, data collection, data analysis, data
interpretation, report writing, and dissemination.
- Deep knowledge using Qualtrics- including API and Power BI, R
and Python. Data engineering capabilities would be ideal.
- Ability to turn statistical and computational analysis into
reports, graphs, charts and interactive visualizations.
- Keen understanding of external and internal data sources, how
they are gathered, stored and retrieved.
- Advanced expertise in SPSS statistical and survey
implementation software (application interface and syntaxis)
- Strong 'story telling' capabilities to build a narrative from
multiple data sources and analysis.
- Inquisitive mind to continue innovating and finding new angles
to add value to the industry, using creativity to capture or
- Ability to propose and implement strategy to influence and
support the Senior Leadership team.
- Superior analytical skills and ability to prioritize
- Excellent communication skills to be able to interact directly
with non-technical stakeholders and act in a business-to-technical
- Manage research external vendor relationships.
- Ability to successfully lead a team.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and
Excel).The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Desired
- Strong statistical analysis skills.
- Strong technical skills using SPSS, QUALTRICS, R, Python,
- Strong strategic and analytical skills.
- Strong people management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.GMAC's value proposition offers
our talented employees the ideal climate for innovation, and
colleagues who are motivated and proactive, with diverse
backgrounds and approaches. As a global organization, we understand
and appreciate the benefits of myriad cultural perspectives. GMAC
is wholly committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining a
diverse group of talented people, and providing equal employment
opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin,
age, disability, or other protected criteria, in accordance with
applicable law.--FLSA Status:ExemptReport to:Chief Marketing
Officer GMAC's value proposition offers our talented employees the
ideal climate for innovation, and colleagues who are motivated and
proactive, with diverse backgrounds and approaches. As a global
organization, we understand and appreciate the benefits of myriad
cultural perspectives. GMAC is wholly committed to recruiting,
developing, and retaining a diverse group of talented people, and
providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants without regard to the basis of actual or perceived race,
creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability,
sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical
conditions), marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic
protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Posted 3 Days
Ago Full time R0000197 About Us The Graduate Management Admission
Council--- (GMAC---) is a mission-driven association of leading
graduate business schools worldwide. Founded in 1953, we are
committed to creating solutions for business schools and candidates
to better discover, evaluate and connect with each other. We work
on behalf of the schools and the graduate management education
community, as well as guide candidates on their journey to higher
education, to ensure that no talent goes undiscovered. GMAC
provides world-class research, professional development
opportunities and assessments for the industry, designed to advance
the art and science of admissions. Owned and administered by GMAC,
the Graduate Management Admission Test--- (GMAT---) is the most
widely used graduate business school assessment, recognized by more
than 7,000 programs worldwide. Other GMAC assessments include the
NMAT by GMAC--- (NMAT---) exam, for entrance into graduate
management programs in India, South Africa, and the Philippines,
and the Executive Assessment (EA), specifically designed for
Executive programs around the world. Our flagship portal for
graduate management education resources and information,
www.mba.com , receives 14 million visits a year and features the
School Search matching tool and Graduate Management Admission
Search Service--- (GMASS---) database, matching candidates and
business schools. GMAC is a global organization with offices in
Hong Kong, China, Gurugram, India, Singapore, London, United
Kingdom and the United States. To learn more about our work, please
visit www.gmac.com .
Keywords: Graduate Management Admission Council, Reston , Director, Research and Data Science, Executive , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!