Safety Services Manager, Reston
Company: Bechtel Oil, Gas & Chemicals Incorporated
Posted on: February 24, 2021
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without
- Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background
check Bechtel, a 120-year-old company, has more than 55,400
colleagues; completed more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries
and established presence in 7 continents. We are very proud to be
named the Top U.S. Contractor by the Engineering News-Record for
the 17th consecutive year. In the Nuclear, Security and
Environmental global business unit, the demand for our expertise is
growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research
and development through engineering, procurement, construction and
operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our
customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner
and safer. SUMMARY: Manages safety services functions and support
within an assigned global business unit (GBU). Supervises and
provides technical oversight to safety/health staff assigned at the
GBU level and to project-assigned safety/health personnel on
projects. Coordinates safety functions and support activities with
corporate Manager of Safety Services, GBU-assigned ES&H
Managers, M&BD Managers, Project Managers, Construction/Site
Managers, and Engineering Managers. JOB DIMENSIONS: A. Supervision
Received Reports to GBU-assigned ES&H Manager and receives
functional support and direction from the corporate Manager of
B. Supervision Exercised Provides GBU-level direction and
administrative supervision to safety/health personnel assigned in
the GBU as support staff and on projects.
- Maintains relationships with internal organizations (e.g.,
engineering, construction, and contracts) and customer and
contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate the
administration and implementation of safety/health functions on
projects and facilities.
- Maintains contact with directors and/or program supervisors of
relevant governmental agencies to obtain current information on new
regulations, program initiatives, and technical information.
- Maintains contact with project safety/health personnel to keep
them informed of safety issues and to ensure adequate technical
- Maintains contact with customers to exchange information on
safety/health issues within the GBU or on specific projects.
- Maintains contact with GBU M&BD organizations on bid
decisions and--proposal development.
- Manages the safety program in the assigned GBU by establishing
short- and long-term strategies as well as goals and
- Ensures that applicable corporate, GBU and project-specific
safety requirements are integrated into project planning, design,
and execution and that projects within the GBU are designed and
constructed in compliance with applicable internal and external
- Provides safety/health technical support and assistance to
projects and coordinates safety/health requirements with M&BD
managers, project managers, construction/site managers,
(sub)contracts managers, project engineers, ES&H managers, and
other project personnel as required.
- Assigns work responsibilities and duties to safety staff
assigned in the GBU and provides technical support and direction on
work products (e.g., Project ES&H Plan and site-specific
medical and evacuation plans).
- Participates in meetings with customers, functional managers,
and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of developing
safety/health issues which will impact their activities.
- Monitors, reviews, and analyzes proposed changes in
safety/health laws/regulations, financial institution performance
standards, and industry standards/practices potentially impacting
GBU operations/projects and provides input and recommendations for
addressing such changes.
- Reviews functional group policies and procedures and makes
recommendations for revising/developing procedures and processes as
- Participates in safety personnel recruitment, training, and
development. Conducts performance evaluations of safety personnel
in coordination with the GBU ES&H Manager and the corporate
Manager of Safety Services and reviews performance evaluations
administered by subordinates.
- Provides recommendations to the GBU ES&H Manager, corporate
Manager of Safety Services and the Manager of Corporate ES&H on
salary actions, promotions, transfers, and terminations for safety
employees assigned to the GBU.
- Interviews candidates for new safety positions and makes
recommendations to the GBU ES&H Manager, corporate Manager of
Safety Services and/or the Manager of Corporate ES&H regarding
their suitability for employment.
- Oversees and/or develops GBU-level safety/health awareness
- Conducts safety and health assessments/reviews of GBU projects
to monitor compliance with safety and health requirements including
contractual commitments, permits, and internal Bechtel core
processes and procedures.
- Works with the GBU ES&H Manager and corporate Manager of
Safety Services and Legal on addressing and resolving pending
agency non-compliances, notices of violations, potential fines and
other enforcement actions.
- Advanced knowledge in a field of science, safety/industrial
engineering, or related discipline.
- In-depth knowledge of national and international safety/health
laws/regulations and regulatory agencies' processes and
responsibilities, industry standards for safety/health performance,
and best management practices for minimizing potential
safety/health hazards during project execution.
- Working knowledge of safety/health enforcement processes in
countries where projects currently exist and experience in
industry-specific safety/health programs and performance standards
of financial institutions (e.g., World Bank, International Finance
- Proficiency in managing safety/health organizations/programs
and supervising technical staff.
- Knowledge of engineering/scientific systems, methods, and work
- Knowledge of Bechtel's M&BD process and activities to
identify and appropriately address safety and health-related risks
for bid decisions and in responding to new work proposals.
- Advanced understanding of construction planning and
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of
safety/health subcontractors or consultants.
- Experience in safety/health assessments/inspections during
- Experience in developing and implementing safety/health
awareness training programs.
- Knowledge of Bechtel's organization structure, functions, and
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology,
public health) or physical sciences (e.g., chemistry, physics), or
in engineering from an accredited college or university plus--6
years of relevant, progressive work experience; or--12 plus years
of progressive, relevant--work experience in lieu of degree.--
- Safety/health-related certifications from
national/international accrediting organizations/associations.
- Prior practical work experience in office settings (e.g.,
managing safety/health programs, budgets, and staff) and field
based programs (e.g., construction execution and/or operating
facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above. Shaping
tomorrow together! Bechtel is among the most respected engineering,
project management, and construction companies in the world. We
stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how
big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four
global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and
metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and
chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more
than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents.
Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and
suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries. An Equal
Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis
Keywords: Bechtel Oil, Gas & Chemicals Incorporated, Reston , Safety Services Manager, Reston, Executive , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!