Sr. Process/Quality Engineer
Posted on: May 6, 2021
MODIS seeks a principal quality engineer/process engineer
for a contract job in Reston, VA.
The Senior/Principal Quality Engineer is a key contributor of the
Quality Assurance team within the Operations Quality organization.
This position is responsible for performing hands-on quality
engineering work and leading collaborative team efforts designed to
develop, strengthen, and improve the quality of vendor processes
and infrastructure. The Senior/Principal Quality Engineer supports
multiple outsourced vendors that are engaged in the Operations
functions of Publications, Logistics, Test Registration, Test
Administration, Scoring, and Score Reporting across multiple
The Senior/Principal Quality Engineer works to develop the ongoing
maturity of the Vendor Quality Program, provides guidance
internally and within the vendor base to promote Vendor Quality
initiatives, and works to ensure appropriate quality controls, risk
mitigation mechanisms, and continuous improvement programs are in
place. The Senior/Principal Quality Engineer leads the technical
process assessment and auditing of vendor processes, identifies
areas of opportunity for quality improvement and manages and leads
quality investigations and analyses. The Senior/Principal Quality
Engineer shares knowledge of vendor processes and quality tools and
methodologies in order to foster a quality mindset within the
Operations organization and the vendor base.
The Senior/Principal Quality Engineer partners with business
process owners and works with vendors to establish quality
structure, requirements and deliverables for new projects. In
addition, this role seeks to optimize vendor relationships by
installing progressive quality initiatives to ensure that client
and vendors are working collaboratively to maximize collective
• Lead continued development and implementation of vendor QMS
requirements. Identify and develop necessary updates to
requirements with stakeholders and communicate, plan, and implement
with vendors. Measure and display vendor QMS maturity, and
contribute to Operations QMS maturity measurements.
• Lead overall vendor assessment program. Develop and maintain
assessment schedule, perform assessments as business needs dictate,
write and issue assessment reports and findings, and manage vendor
activities surrounding remediation of assessment observations and
findings. Engage Business Process Owners, quality team members, and
vendors in assessment program, both for planned assessments and
during ad hoc investigations. Develop meaningful success metrics
and robust scorecards for display and communication of status.
Apply results of assessments toward quality improvement efforts at
vendors and within company.
• Lead efforts to ensure that new and modified vendor processes are
engineered with quality in mind. Define, approve, and enable the
implementation of quality requirements, quality plans, and quality
check points to ensure adequacy of controls and resulting outputs.
Work with vendors to develop and implement plans for designing and
implementing processes for new and modified programs and projects,
and communicate vendors’ progress and success to stakeholders.
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of vendor processes.
Determine requirements and apply knowledge of processes across
vendors and programs to ensure universal best practices. Update
company regarding vendor improvements and quality achievements.
• Utilize performance information (product and service failures,
process audit results, customer complaints, etc.) to ensure that
quality checks performed by vendors in support of Operations
functions are robust. Work with vendors to implement advanced
quality tools such as control plans, statistical process control,
statistical sampling and analysis, risk analysis, etc. to ensure
processes are designed, deployed, and operated to maximize quality.
Document and recommend improvements, gain internal support among
Business Processes Owners, and work with vendors to implement as
appropriate. Prioritize vendor process areas for improvement based
on actual experience and potential risk.
• Perform benchmarking activities as appropriate to ensure that
vendor quality outputs meet or exceed and/or industry
• Develop, implement, and manage joint quality review forums with
vendors, ensuring analysis of appropriate indicators and resulting
in meaningful improvement actions.
• Serve as Quality Engineering Subject Matter Expert. Train and
mentor Operations personnel regarding quality management best
practices and statistical techniques.
• For new product development and new projects take lead for vendor
quality activities and develop Vendor Quality Plan to detail
quality requirements, deliverables, processes and controls.
• Travel to vendors’ locations to ensure appropriate quality
deployment and implementation.
• B.S. Degree in an appropriate engineering or operations field
• Appropriate quality certifications (Lead Auditor, ASQ CQA, ASQ
CQE, Six Sigma Green/Black Belt, etc.)
• 10+ years process and quality engineering experience
• Experience using multiple quality improvement methodologies,
tools, and techniques to drive significant change and
• Proven ability to lead diverse cross-functional teams in quality
• Experience developing and analyzing quality performance
• Quality Management System implementation knowledge and
experience, such as ISO
• Experience in corrective action program, root cause analysis and
• Experience in vendor quality management techniques
RELATED SKILLS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to mentor diverse cross-functional teams in quality
improvement tools and methodologies
• Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others
and build strong professional relationships
• Excellent communication (writing, speaking, presentation)
• Strong process perspective and continuous improvement mindset
• Strong analytical thinking and structured, creative problem
• Ability to manage relationships with multiple levels of
• Excellent group/ cross-functional team facilitation skills
• Strong knowledge of multiple Quality improvement methodologies
• Flexibility and desire to quickly adapt to new methods,
situations, and various requirements
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications and
• Solid organizational, time & task management skills
• Ability to effectively handle multiple situations
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to travel
• Experience in a high-volume data and transaction intensive
• Strong project management experience
B.S. Degree in an appropriate engineering or operations field
**This position will have to travel primarily to ETS, Trenton, NJ
and any other vendor locations as needed
Keywords: , Reston , Sr. Process/Quality Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!