Company: General Atomics
Posted on: November 17, 2021
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world s leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and
manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power
generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized
products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet,
space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy,
and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial,
and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer within the
Tiger Innovations team which is part of our Electromagnetic Systems
group. The position would be located in Herndon, VA. The Tiger
Innovations team provides innovative, cutting-edge, security
solutions for the United States Government. Our employees provide a
multi-disciplinary, sometimes non-traditional, approach to generate
innovative solutions to incredibly challenging technical problems
in the national security arena. Our areas of expertise are in
spacecraft payload and system development (especially in the
confines of implementing very large amounts of functionality in
extremely small, power-constrained environments); unique system
development; ground control and operational software development;
embedded software development; and unique cyber capabilities. Key
customers include the Department of Defense and the Intelligence
Under general directions with limited review, this position is
responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual
or complex engineering problems. Assignments are normally outlined
in terms of overall objectives and reviewed largely at completion.
This position will involve initiating the planning of engineering
projects and developing innovative designs or modifications in
order to meet project goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The selected candidate will be an integral participant in
software requirements definition, software development and
implementation, as well as system design, test, and verification
for spacecraft and payload flight/ground software.
- Key areas of focus include software engineering, software
design and implementation, evaluation of operating modes, and a
strong understanding of associated firmware and hardware (e.g.,
- May design, develop, implement, and test FPGA-firmware.
- Independently performs difficult/complex engineering work with
instructions as to the general expected results.
- Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff,
makes technical presentations, and may represent the organization
as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single
- Supports operation of engineering systems and documents any
- Devises new approaches to resolve unusual or complex
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements,
difficult coordination requirements, and special material
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact
on small contracts or single component projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a
team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in
engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six
or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more
years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years
with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in
lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts,
principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad
application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of
principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new
concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment;
organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the
appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the
project level to provide solutions to a range of complex
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation,
presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work
independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks
in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the
organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of
moderately experienced professional employees on single component
- Experience on satellite programs is strongly desired. Candidate
should also be experienced in the design, integration and test of
satellite buses and knowledgeable of launch and flight operations
of space vehicles.
- High proficiency in C programming language (and/or C++).
- Software development in the Linux environment (command line,
GCC, Makefiles, shell scripting, etc.)
- Embedded development: cross-compiling to separate targets,
testing/development on highly-embedded systems.
- Network programming using sockets API, understanding of
networking fundamentals (network layers, TCP, UDP, etc.)
- Real-time OS concepts such as threads, locking, etc.
- Assembly language experience.
- Experience with FPGA development is strongly desired.
- Able to work extended hours as necessary.
- US Citizenship is required as is the ability to maintain a Top
Secret Security Clearance.
Keywords: General Atomics, Reston , Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!