Sr. Data Analyst- Contract in Reston, VA
Posted on: October 9, 2018
Modis seeks a senior data analyst for a contract job with our direct client in Reston, VA.
The Data Services group (DS) of our client seeks a Senior Business/Systems Analyst with strong data skills to work closely with Data Services staff; key business stakeholders, including programs and regions; and Information Technology (IT) staff to support the organization’s efforts in the areas of enterprise data management and services. The senior analyst will be a subject matter expert in key aspects of data and programs, supporting a range of the organization’s data management programs and projects.
The Senior Business/Systems Analyst must work with Data Services’ teams to communicate and engage with the business units to develop a strong understanding of their reporting, data and product needs. From this understanding, the Senior Analyst will work with the business and the technology teams to help define requirements for a project, identify data dependencies and/or relationships to develop logical and physical data models, create data flow and system activity diagrams, and write specifications for managing enterprise information. Specifications may include business rules, source to target mappings, design specifications, BI reporting specifications, and/or use cases. The Senior Analyst must also be able to work with architects, engineers and DBAs to ensure that the business and technical requirements are being met throughout the development process.
The Senior Analyst will also develop plans and materials to support user adoption, training and customer service. Through direct and regular contact with users from regions, programs and service units, the Senior Analyst will provide regular insight and guidance into the prioritization of enhancements for the data systems. The Senior Analyst may also coordinate change control boards for the platform in support of the platform manager.
The Senior Analyst will be given very complex data-related problems, and must solve them using a variety of technical and analytical skills, and be able to document and standardize the processes for solving those problems. A successful candidate will be able to generate efficiencies and mitigate risk within the data management group, through sound technical analysis, and will generate value for the business by providing solutions to their business problems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
• Serve as a subject matter expert in multiple areas of data, and use that expertise to support multiple programs.
• Communicate with and understand business goals and requirements, and work to create data solutions that add value to the business.
• Demonstrate a strong attention to detail, high degree of initiative, and excellent documentation skills
• Support technical project managers to ensure that all aspects of the information analysis and requirements gathering process are completed with the highest degree of accuracy and quality, including the development and socialization of key project artifacts.
• Develop and participate in the review of requirements, data mappings, use cases and other artifacts and clearly communicate to both the business and technical team members the system requirements. Demonstrate the ability to define, analyze and translate functional and non-functional business requirements into activity diagrams source to target mappings, system use cases and supplemental specifications.
• Demonstrate the ability to access data (SQL), analyze data, and be able to create the logical data model for incoming data.
• Support ad hoc data requests within existing governance and security policies and best practices.
• Implement rollout plans for data and reporting tools that involves training end users and helping to secure the ongoing buy-in and use of the system. Develop key documentation, user guides and other necessary training materials.
• Support a broad base of users of the data and reporting platforms with excellent customer service and incident management skills.
• Ensure relationships with the customers and cross-team members are professional and meet management expectations.
• Significant knowledge and experience in managing and executing data management initiatives, including data management, warehousing, provisioning and business intelligence.
• 5-7 years’ experience in data management of enterprise wide data.
• Understanding of business process modeling, data provisioning modeling, entity relationship modeling and dimensional modeling.
• Experience in project management.
• Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and on budget. Experience with education related data is required.
Strong attention to detail
• Excellent documentation skills
• Ability to understand business needs and translate them into technical specifications
• Experience in developing requirements for business intelligence, master data management and functional-data projects.
• Mastery of data management concepts and best practices, as well as an ability to become a SME in data
• Strong ability to explain advanced data concepts to both database developers and architects, non-technical end users, and senior executives
• Understanding of source to target documents, use case and activity diagrams and use case specifications.
Working knowledge of DBMS client software (MS SQL, Oracle (Toad), MySQL) is required
High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook) is required
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
• Expertise in understanding and writing SQL
• Demonstrated high competency in balancing multiple projects
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Experience in process analysis and documentation.
• Strong organizational skills
• Understanding of various issues tracking/resolution, scope estimation and scope management processes.
• Experience with Oracle Databases, Dataflux ETL and/or Cognos BI tools preferred
• Experience with IBM Rational Suite tools (e.g., ReqPro, RSM, Clearquest, and Clearcase) is preferred
Bachelor’s degree required.
Keywords: , Reston , Sr. Data Analyst- Contract in Reston, VA, IT / Software / Systems , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!