Company: Boston Properties
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Primary Purpose of Position:
Maintain the integrity of all building systems, provide services
to tenants, supervise work of other engineering staff, and operate
the building in an efficient manner.
- Ensure the proficient operation of assigned assets, ensuring
all systems are maintained in first class condition. Building
systems include HVAC, water treatment program, electrical,
lighting, plumbing, elevator, energy management, fire protection,
structural, hardware and keying.
- Effectively manage engineering staff to include activities such
as assigning work, providing supervision and direction, conducting
employee reviews and facilitating training programs as needed.
Ensure employees are qualified, competent, knowledgeable of
policies and procedures, and project a positive attitude and
- Develop work schedules for assigned staff. Responsible for
documentation of timesheets and control of overtime. Obtain
approval for non-emergency overtime from the Property Manager.
- Maintain and refine a documented preventative maintenance and
service call program for all building systems. Organize and
maintain comprehensive record files consisting of operations and
maintenance manuals, blueprints (tenant and base building), loss
prevention activities, safety training, material safety data and
other pertinent documents.
- Regularly inspect machinery and electrical rooms and all other
work areas to ensure good housekeeping and safe working
- Maintain daily communications with Property Manager on ongoing
work and non-routine situations.
- Responsible for operating within the budget established for
designated accounts. Provide input for annual operating budget and
anticipated capital expenditures.
- Conduct monthly staff meetings in conjunction with Property
Manager. Each meeting will include a discussion on safety and
review of the previous month's service history that includes the
tenant service ticket program as well as other operational or
- Review tenant and base building renovation plans and
specifications, providing comments relating to design problems or
conflicts to existing building systems or structures.
- Ensure all contracted maintenance, repair or construction
activities conform to established building policies and standards.
Inform Property Manager of all defective or nonconforming
- Provide suggestions and/or plans to improve the operating or
energy efficiency of building systems
- Maintain all applicable paperwork including purchase order
requests and provides appropriate backup for accounting
reconciliation. Review and forward completed service request and
work order forms per established procedures
- Develop and practice emergency operational procedures with
staff such as equipment changeover, isolation of electrical and
water systems, fire, bomb threat, evacuation, power outages, severe
- Respond to building emergencies and provide back up support to
other Chief Engineers.
- Ensure building standards are maintained as established in the
annual property management audit.
- Assist in the technical training and upgrading of skills of
less qualified staff.
- Pursue employee development objectives recommended by the
Director of Engineering and/or Property Manager.
- Assist in the administration of the properties impairment and
loss prevention program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- Minimum of 10 years of operational experience required with 5
years at a supervisory level or equivalent experience and
- Accredited technical school, military, or college certification
in HVAC and/or Operating Engineering Technologies and/or equivalent
job related training and experience required.
- License(s) for applicable jurisdiction and equipment:
- DC Properties -- 3rd Class Steam Engineer's License
- Maryland Properties - 2nd Grade Stationary Engineer's
- Virginia Properties -- NUILPE 1st Class Engineer's
- HVAC Master's License
- BOMI SMA/RPA Certification or enrollment in program
- Universal CFC certification required.
- Continuing education in field.
- Advanced computer skills - Building Automation Systems,
Microsoft Windows, Excel and Lotus Notes knowledge.
- Strong technical and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work efficiently, set
priorities and motivate others.
- Familiarity with OSHA, NEC, NFC and life safety codes.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use arms to
- Regularly required to talk, hear and occasionally required to
taste and smell.
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl,
balance and climb stairs and ladders.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and
occasionally required to lift/move 50+ pounds.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance
vision, color vision and depth perception.
- Involves movement between departments, buildings, and floors to
Internal and External Contacts:
- This position interacts extensively with tenants, vendors, and
contractors, as well other employees within Boston Properties.
- The Chief Engineer will receive supervision and direction from
the Property Manager of the assigned asset. Engineering Management
will provide supplemental direction and assistance to the Chief
Keywords: Boston Properties, Reston , Chief Engineer, Other , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!