Data Center Technician IV (Day Shift) - Reston, VA
Posted on: January 10, 2022
The Data Center Technician IV must possess an expert level of
knowledge and will be responsible for the operational integrity and
regulatory compliance of the data center electrical, mechanical,
fire life safety systems, and communications infrastructure.
This position is for the Day Shift: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm EST.
Mechanical responsibilities will include chilled water systems and
components, HVAC systems such as roof top units, CRAC/CRAH units,
and humidification systems.
Electrical responsibilities will include electrical/critical power
distribution from the Utility/Generator main switchgear through the
UPS systems out to the customer load.
Fire Life Safety responsibilities will include wet sprinkler
systems and pre-action sprinkler systems as well as their
associated detection devices.
Communications Infrastructure responsibilities will include IFD /
MDF / MMR management, structured cabling and supporting
infrastructure ownership, and customer space management.
This position will also be directly responsible for the processes
that maximize customer uptime in the most cost-effective way by
working very closely with the Data Center Manager. Technicians must
ensure that data center problems are identified and repaired
quickly, contractors deliver quality services, and internal
customer demands are met. A Tier IV technician develops creative
approaches to keep operational costs to a minimum, improve
efficiency, and implement new strategies.
- Data center subject matter expert for electrical, mechanical,
controls, and fire life safety systems.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions
in facilities systems. Areas include: Electrical, Mechanical,
Communications, Building Monitoring and Control.
- Tracking and trending operational characteristics.
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- Work with the site Data Center Manager to track and complete an
aggressive preventive and predicative maintenance schedule
- Work with and provides guidance, to the site Data Center
Manager to determine maintenance requirements for mechanical and
- Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency,
including analyzing existing operating conditions, recommending new
technologies, and improving overall efficiency and cost reduction.
Ideal candidate will have a demonstrated technical ability and
innovative thinking cross functionally, including integrated
systems and IT
- Manage systems to avoid unplanned, customer-impacting
- Manage the data floor and back of house mechanical loading
capacity thereby ensuring that the cooling system is operating at
its highest efficiency
- Provide applied mechanical and integrated control expertise for
the entire data center
- Work as a primary knowledge expert in regard to fire and
- Serve in a technical writing capacity in regard to the
derivation of procedures for preventative or corrective maintenance
- Assist Data Center Manager with the database management of
maintenance discrepancies and work with Operations management to
resolve site issues based on agreed upon priorities.
- Trouble Ticket Management
- Work Order Completion Process
- Infrastructure projects (Internal/Customer)
- 1. Cage Build-Outs
- 2. Overhead Installations
- 3. Rack and Stack
- Navigate and utilize a CMMS system.
- Use developed procedures to solve problems
- Assist in asset and consumable inventory management.
- Responsible for the tracking and proper labeling of all
equipment per established procedures.
- Ensures that processes are completed in a timely manner
pertaining to Service Level Agreements (SLA) and data is uploaded
to the OSS accordingly.
- Provide physical security within the CoreSite premises.
- Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and
- Incident escalation and report writing
- Monitor the building fire alarm system.
- Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours
documenting and responding to found issues.
- Adhere to and promote CoreSite's Principles of Operational
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Interaction with Others: This position is required to interact with
CoreSite personnel, vendors, partners, contractors and clients.
- Expert understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems
used in a data center environment, including, but not limited to
the following: electrical distribution and layout, Transformers,
PLC's, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, STS', ATS' PDU's,
Chilled Water Systems, CRAC/CRAH's, Pre-Action Sprinkler
- Expert knowledge of NEC, NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 25, and
compliance issues as well as building codes in regard to fire life
- Expert knowledge of fiber optics / cabling infrastructure and
industry best practices.
- Expert knowledge in industrial safety best practices (i.e.
lockout/tag out, arc flash protection, OSHA and state
- Expert knowledge and experienced with data trending / tracking
and analysis and ability to rapidly learn and use PC based,
integrated critical monitoring systems
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience installing, maintaining,
and/or troubleshooting large commercial and industrial systems
- Chilled Water Systems
- Large Centrifugal Chillers
- Cooling Towers
- Heat Exchangers
- Water Treatment Systems
- VFD's and Pumps
- HVAC equipment
- Humidification Systems
- BMS and PLC Controls
- Emergency Standby Diesel Generator Systems
- Fuel/Oil systems,
- 480/277 and 208/120 electrical generation and distribution
- Static UPS Systems
- Double Interlock Pre-Action Systems
- Proven leadership skills
- Proven expert and laying out, pulling, dressing, and
terminating fiber and copper communications cabling.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing IT hardware, servers,
network switches, structured cabling.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal
- Ability to coordinate, supervise and communicate with
contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise
during normal working hours or after hours.
- Ability to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems
- Ability to effectively multi-task multiple projects
- Operate Hand and Machine Tools (hammer, drill, saw, etc.)
- Operate electrical tools such as a multi-meter or infrared
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or
equivalent time in rate.
- 5 or more years in a mechanical/electrical position within
critical facilities (preference given to a data center, hospital,
or power plant experience)
- Be able to pass an extensive background check including
criminal history, professional references, and employment and
Physical Demands and Special Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Ability to stand 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 - 2/3 of the
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced
environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours,
including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time
Not only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment,
but we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Telemedicine through MDLive
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- Life Insurance and Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance
fully paid by the company
- Voluntary coverage benefits for Life and AD&D, Critical
Illness, Accident Coverage, and Hospital Indemnity
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Plans and Health Saving Account (HSA) Plans
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a generous company
- Free parking or a company contribution towards a public transit
- Paid Parental Leave
- 16 days of Personal Time Off (PTO)
- 11 paid Holidays
- Wellness program with annual incentive
- Annual discretionary bonus incentive
Applicant Privacy Notice: CoreSite is committed to protecting the
privacy and security of personal information submitted by
applicants. The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires us
to provide you information about our personal information handling
practices. As a result, we're providing this Privacy Notice that
describes how we collect, use, share, and update personal
information from individuals who wish to be considered for
employment with CoreSite. To read the Applicant Privacy Notice,
please go to
Keywords: CoreSite, Reston , Data Center Technician IV (Day Shift) - Reston, VA, Professions , Reston, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!